Skip to main content

Things have a way of working out

Well what can I say Open FM is going smoothly and looking great, all down to a fantastic team that I can happily say have given me the chance to get involved!

So firstly let me introduce myself my name is Jill and I am starting a new career in the world of journalism! Currently I am working at everything I can possible do in 24 hours but loving it all the same and I feel Open FM is a great way to escape it all.

My career path started and still is in the world of art, not an artists myself I never had the creative flair for it, I decided to get involved in the business side of it all. I studied for an MA in Art Business in London and also worked in different art organisations over there. I thought coming back to work in the arts sector in Ireland a year and a half ago was a brilliant idea.....little did I know like everyone else that the big 'R' word was looming in the distance and money and buyers became scarce in this sector. This led to one of the best moves I have ever made and that was doing a year course in Journalism, yes people 6 years later of study and some work in between I think this may be my final career move....for the moment anyway!

Getting involved in Open FM was like any other Irish story ,I knew someone who knew someone and they gave me the chance to get involved and the rest is history! Having close friends in the gay community, it is really only in the last year as a straight girl (I say girl as women sounds way out of my league yet!) that I am getting to know more about all aspects of the LGBT community and I love it. Everyone who has been so helpful and my budding career has been so well supported by you guys.

The reason I got involved in Open FM is that I want more people to know about the LGBT community and why shouldn't they. Open FM is about diversity and bringing everyone together, it is for everyone and it gives all communities a chance to view their thoughts, on the blog, on air or by e-mail.

I want to be able to get involved in the LGBT community and open it out to everyone. So keep watch for more blogs from me.

Cheers

Jill

PS: Sorry a photo is to follow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coming Out - the realisation

I was pretty late coming out. Officially, the 23rd of June 2005, at the age of 31. Most of my close friends all knew, although for me it was like shedding a great weight from my shoulders. Something I had shrouded myself in for years. The word GAY held me still and in some way paralysed me for so many years. I believe now, looking back that I had internalised homophobia. I remember I'd flinch at the word. I'd constantly questioned whether I was normal or some sort of freak that was going against nature. Its bizarre how much time we can waste caught inside our own prison, or more appropriately, in this case the closest. So, it all came about one Summer Solstice on top of the Hill of Tara. I had gone there in the late evening with my house-mates. It was the first time I had experienced Tara at this super special occasion. There was such a vibrance and energy about the place. Kids running in circles and people everywhere smiling and chatting. Its quite a magical feelin

Sunday Night Bingo at the George

Thanks to OpenFM , I finally made the decision to get my ass in to gear and drag myself and my other half along to the George on Sunday night. I felt it was about time and now being involved with the new station I thought I'd be a bad gay if I couldn't relate to the infamous Sunday Bingo @ The George . Okay, fair enough I'm only out of the closet 5 years, although what has stopped me from experiencing one of the most well known nights out in the gay world in Dublin. Like any good Catholic visits the pilgrimage at Knock, its our Pink Duty to see the Bingo night and drag soiree that follows. So off we went. To say I was surprised would be to put it mildly. Funny, I get older and life seems to do that to me more and more. It was great. As anyone that knows me, I'm not the biggest fan of the George for a night out, although I will definitely by making more Sunday visits. The show began an hour later than I had heard, kicking of at 10pm. Shirley Temple Bar